I don't know how Snobol dropped out of awareness.  I almost never heard of it in the MS-DOS, Windows, or Unix workstation circles, even before Perl, though occasionally you'd see an interpreter on a BBS or freeware/shareware list.

The most memorable mention I recall was a grad student in the '90s remarking that (IIRC) Andy van Dam wanted to teach Snobol to undergrads.  This being funny in a "he might be right, but it's lol so random, and he wouldn't actually do that" kind of way.  (AvD did lead a grad school class, around '95, to evaluate candidate languages for CS intro use.  We looked at many languages, including Java when it was called Oak, but I don't recall anyone championing Snobol.)

Could Snobol be another case study of a good technology that fell out of use, such as due to accidents of products or user bases separate from the innate merits of the technologies?  Lisp and Smalltalk and Prolog and Betamax people could sympathize. :)  Are there any new lessons we can learn about adoption, or any lessons of linguistics?  (Maybe one of the best string-processing features of Snobol is a Racket procedure or syntax extension waiting to happen. Or maybe understanding the twist of fate of Snobol will enlighten "https://www.neilvandyke.org/racket-money/"; as to why we're not all rich already. :)