Hi Matthew, Neil,

> the people who are persuadable.
So who are the ‘persuadable’? And where to find them if not on hn?

I’m one of the ‘corporate MIS programmers’, but in the public
sector(health), and I get to interact with a variety of software vendors as
well as and build forms, worklists, reports and business logic on their
platforms. I certainly don’t get to choose.

My role does put me in the lucky position to ask ISV’s what languages their
systems are written in;
Example include (from older to newer)
* COBOL
* VB.6 (two vendors)
* ASP.net, C# & JavaScript (more recent vendor)
* PHP w/Symfony & Python
* Ruby on Rails
* Java
* Perl
* Cache/MUMPS (two vendors - one is actually the customer of the other)
[ these are all ‘single product vendors’ - I don’t know if that is unusual
in industry ]

In all the cases it seems the language is determined by the founder, and
has not changed for the life of the product & company, in some cases for
many years (the cobol and VB products have been around for 20+ years)

I’ve even met some of the founders - 3 out of 4 are specialty doctors.

I will have to ask next time I meet a founder, but at this stage I don’t
think any ‘choosing a language’ was involved - I think the founders I have
met just chose whatever was available at the time. (if you a meet a
potential founder please say ‘have you looked at Racket?’)

I had to type this to put it together in my head - maybe I shouldn’t have
sent it and bored you with my thought processes.

So who are the ‘persuadable’? And where to find them?

Kind regards,

Stephen

PS in my workplace the biggest competitor isn’t other languages, it is the
spreadsheet; sometimes stand alone, sometimes linked or shared, but mostly
with no VBA.

PPS I think the Jupyter enhanced REPL idea is worth pursuing and extending
as this might be a way generate interest in the Racket runtime and
associated languages.

----