This piece by Danny Hillis (which I just happened to cite on a very different topic) is an easy read, and perhaps inspirational on the value of explanation and cross-pollination, such as one might do when bridging communities of interest, with popular forum participation and blogs:

http://longnow.org/essays/richard-feynman-connection-machine/

If you like it, other writings and videos by/with/about Feynman have a lot more.

(Also, if you ever have an opportunity to start an article as "One day when I was having lunch with Richard Feynman", you must take it.)