> The 1st value returned by (subprocess) is an opaque reference to the
> executing process.  If you pass the reference to (subprocess-status) it
> will return  *'running*  if the process currently is executing, or the
> exit/error value.

"exit/error value" is the issue there.
(subprocess-status ps) will return 'running if the process is running.
If it doesn't, either the process has never ran, either it has finished
with a exit code.
No way (that I see) to disambiguate.

> No actual process can have pid 0 ... that value is reserved  (on
> Unix/Linux and Windows).
>
> Racket doesn't support fork (because Windows doesn't), but recall that
> when you fork in Unix/Linux, the child process receives the illegal pid
> value 0 so that it knows it is the child, while the parent receives the
> real pid value for the child.
>
> Also note that (subprocess-pid) will be valid only if the process started
> successfully.

(subprocess-pid) is only valid when (subprocess-status) is 'running but
testing the status then requesting the pid is not atomic, therefore
subprocess-pid should return #f or raise. Or return pid 0 but it should be
documented :)
By the way there is a process with pid 0 on Linux, it's "sched". And on
Windows, its "idle". Of course it could never be the result of (subprocess
...) but I don't want to rely on incidental behaviour from an API :=

> Hope this helps,
> George

Thanks for contributing, it's much appreciated,
Bertrand