On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Christopher Dwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I see all this excitement about GitHub. It's great that everyone can throw
> in their 2¢. It's like stepping on the gas. Now how about that steering
> wheel?
>
> What I don't get is how anyone can keep track of it. Before GitHub, it was
> hard enough to track all the extensions and which one went with which
> version of code base. Now it seems like an impossible task. Unfortunately I
> haven't been able to read the whole 'Summer Reboot Documentation' thread, so
> I don't know if anyone has addressed this in there.
>
> It seems to me that two things are needed to try to get this under control
> for new people coming on the scene, or those who can't keep up with the
> changes:
>
> 1) Some kind of news feed
> 2) Someone to take the news feed and compile it into the current 'state of
> the world' - weekly maybe?
>
> ... or am I out in left field?
>
> What I'm thinking of as a news feed would be something like this...
>
> July 16 - John started on the uber_fu extension
> July 16 - Tony released the fork of the uber_mailer extension
> July 15 - Jenna released the google_maps extension
> July 13 - Tony started a fork of the uber_mailer extension
> July 10 - Jenna started the google_maps extension
>
> How to make that happen? beats me. Tag blog entries with
> 'radiantcmsnewsfeed' and somehow find them and aggregate them into a single
> RSS feed?
>
> -Chris

GitHub provides this already. You can watch any repo or user you want. When
viewing your dashboard, you get a newsroll of what's happened in the repos
or users you've been watching. Here's what mine looks like:

topfunky <https://github.com/topfunky> started watching
fuzed<http://github.com/KirinDave/fuzed/tree> about
10 hours ago
  fuzed is at KirinDave/fuzed <http://github.com/KirinDave/fuzed/tree>
  technoweenie <https://github.com/technoweenie> commented on
rails/rails<http://github.com/rails/rails/tree> about
14 hours ago
  Comment in
e0846c8<https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/e0846c8417093853f4f7f62732983e990c28d669#comments>:

Wow, this is breaking one o…

  saturnflyer <https://github.com/saturnflyer> deleted radiant-help about 17
hours ago
  Deleted repository was at saturnflyer/radiant-help
  danielegozzi <https://github.com/danielegozzi> committed to
radiant-extensions
<http://github.com/danielegozzi/radiant-extensions/tree> about
19 hours ago

96d1e99173e642d11276e7eb6a616be78b258dcc<http://github.com/danielegozzi/radiant-extensions/commit/96d1e99173e642d11276e7eb6a616be78b258dcc>

Fixed a malformed html tag in a view.
   seancribbs <https://github.com/seancribbs> committed to
radiant<http://github.com/radiant/radiant/tree> 1
day ago

39460da9ff49dc51a46be618f352bbbb80ab9a65<http://github.com/radiant/radiant/commit/39460da9ff49dc51a46be618f352bbbb80ab9a65>

Support Git submodules, use system instead of backtick for rake and gem, fix
a broken spec.
   seancribbs <https://github.com/seancribbs> committed to
radiant<http://github.com/radiant/radiant/tree> 1
day ago

5b7c8a1997bdffa841722797b225183e42aaf2cc<http://github.com/radiant/radiant/commit/5b7c8a1997bdffa841722797b225183e42aaf2cc>

Add help command to script/extension.
   seancribbs <https://github.com/seancribbs> committed to
radiant<http://github.com/radiant/radiant/tree> 1
day ago

88ccd2be26545179de849009cd4664de5ed9dadc<http://github.com/radiant/radiant/commit/88ccd2be26545179de849009cd4664de5ed9dadc>

Finish up specs for implemented installers.

If that doesn't do it for you, maybe Yahoo! Pipes could slice and dice your
feed.

--

Tim