Thanks again Chris. I really appreciate all your help with this.

I finally get what you've been saying about the 404 error. If you ask
for the css file directly
(http:test.octopusgardenyoga.com/css/elastic) it displays, but the
response header indicates a 404 error. If you ask for it indirectly,
via the <link .../> statement, a 404 status is generated (I assume)
and depending on the browser, the 404 is ignored and the css is
applied (Opera, Safari) or it's not (FF, IE). In any case, the
interesting question is, as you said, "Why is LiteSpeed serving up the
content fine yet assigning a 404 to the page?".

I double checked all the LiteSpeed config settings and don't see
anything unusual. Double checked file permissions/ownerships and all
looks well. Will continue to google around for any clues.

--
marshal