I just had a crazy idea.

I'm looking for a way for users to have a "draft" version of the site.
 When it's ready, they click a button and the pages/snippets/layouts
that are published get transferred over to the new site.

What if:

When they click "Publish Site":
  * test site does a "rake file_system:save" to save the test db stuff
to the file system
  * files are checked into git
  * production site does a checkout
  * production site does a "rake file_system:load" to load the files into the db

And Tada.  You have a simple, version controlled site where people can
preview their work.

Joe