I wrote an extension that is being used in production that does
something very similar.  We have a staging environment and a
production environment.  The production environment is read-only.  The
users make all their changes on the staging environment.  When they
are ready to migrate the changes to production, they go to a Staging
tab on the staging environment and click a button.  Behind the scenes,
the radiant content is copied from the staging environment to the
production.  It can copy the data between two environments on the same
machine or two environments on different machines (via ssh gem) simply
by changing a flag in the config file.  Because the extension uses
mysqldump, right now it is limited to only mysql databases.

So far, the client has tentatively been agreeable to me open-sourcing
this extension.  Two things have kept me from pursuing that, namely
time constraints and my thinking that this might not be useful to
anyone else.  If others think this extension might be useful to them,
I can move it up my priority list.

Jamey