Take a look at the concurrent_draft extension. It allows you to schedule a draft of a page, snippet or layout for publication. http://github.com/avonderluft/radiant-concurrent_draft-extension/tree/master

I began work on a drafts extension which plans to manage drafts on a page part basis (rather than the entire page) but I haven't been able to put a lot of time into it. I believe that in most regular use, authors will create draft content for page parts rather that entire pages so I'm creating it to do that. It is premature to suggest using it, but I'd love any help if you are interested
http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-drafts-extension/tree/master
I have no immediate need for holding onto old versions so I have no current plans to add that, but if it were unobtrusive and intuitive I'd certainly be interested.
That is the strategy that concurrent_draft takes -- each part has 'content' and 'draft_content' fields. The nice thing about that is that we could treat parts, snippets and layouts almost identically, with some tweaks for pages (and propagating publishing to the parts). There's no historical versioning, though.

Sean