Jason, I'm looking forward to installing your extension. I too like textile (though what drove me to it was the ability to add styles to the tags that it creates -- don't think markdown can handle that).

That said, I too would like a markdown toolbar. Personally, I'd start with what Ryan Johnson built over at: http://livepipe.net/control/textarea

But the big thing I'd love to see here is a coordinated effort to create a common toolbar that different filters plug into. This way it would offer:

   * A consistent experience across toolbars (same look, placement, and
     intent among buttons).  This is also why I thought the filter
     selection might, itself, be made part of the toolbar.
   * Button(s) to let you add simple Radius tags into the content (so
     users don't need to know tags either yet can learn by seeing what
     gets inserted).
   * Other common buttons (maximize-textarea-to-fit-window anyone?)

-Chris

Jason Garber wrote:
I have a little different take: I really like Markdown for plain text documents that are to be read as plain text and might be converted to HTML, but Textile works better for me when I'm using it as a shortcut to HTML (and it won't be published plain-text). I tried Markdown before I'd ever heard of Textile, but these things got to me:

Links: I find it easier to write "links this way":http://radiantcms.org rather than [this way](http://radiantcms.org) when you're writing them all day, every day. Guess it's just personal preference. Maybe it's because quotes and a colon are easier to type than square brackets and parentheses?

Numbered lists: I'm a little OCD, so I found myself re-numbering Markdown numbered lists when I added an item in the middle, even though it technically doesn't matter. Textile's use of the number sign is intuitive and saves me trips to the therapist. :-) Textile supports nested lists and, in RedCloth at least, definition lists, but I haven't found a way to do either in Markdown.

Blockquotes: Here again, you only technically need one > at the beginning, but there's plenty of room to be obsessive and spend time fixing hard-wrapped blockquotes.

Code blocks: Yeah right, like I really want to indent every line of my code by four spaces!

Headings: I don't want to have to count how many times I use the pound sign. h4 is less ambiguous than ####, though
#### My heading ####
looks a lot prettier (esp. when the pound signs are balanced!).

Okay, so this is turning into an obsessive-compulsive confession! Now, I don't mean to start a filter war! Just had to defend my choice. I'm glad that Radiant offers both and I wish that I had liked Markdown better than Textile initially because when I started using them a couple years ago, the Ruby Markdown libraries were a lot better than the Textile one!

I'd love to see a toolbar for Markdown. I had dreamed of having the same buttons always be on the toolbar and then the output change depending on the filter currently selected (e.g. h2., ##, or <h2>). Unfortunately, textile_editor is meeting my needs, so I don't have time or motivation to make that happen, but I'd welcome a fork that would!

Jason