On 24.05.2009, at 16:26, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

N. Turnage wrote:
Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

Next on my list is PageAttachments - so, I installed attachment_fu and then, I cloned the recent page_attachments from git. I applied the migration and did the update and restarted the server.

I was able to add an attachment and then another. But the third one failed. After trying for a bit, it seems that it loads small files (tried up to 14KB) but larger files (more than 30KB) seem to be not loading. Any suggestion on what may be wrong?

I found this in page_attachments\app\models\page_attachment.rb:

has_attachment :storage => :file_system,
:thumbnails => defined?(PAGE_ATTACHMENT_SIZES) && PAGE_ATTACHMENT_SIZES || {:icon => '50x50>'},
               :max_size => 10.megabytes

This tends to suggest that files up to 10MB should be fine? Any idea what I should look for? (I'm on Windows, running Radiant 0.7.1 on ruby 1.8.6)

*bump*

I suggest you drop page_attachments in favor of Paperclipped. It's easier to manage image sizes and mime-types (you can do both with the settings extension) and page_attachments will prevent you from using the change_author extension (I got bitten by this one) if you decide to use it. It's also much easier to use in day-to-day operations with its bucket that will allow you to upload and attach images from the same place.
Hi Nate,

Thanks for the advice. I'm tempted to use PageAttachments firstly because I was using it earlier :) and the site I'm trying to do is a technical articles site, so it makes a lot of sense to attach images to the pages on which the articles appear. Admittedly, I've not used PaperClipped so I"m not sure if that's how it works - but the talk of buckets (that I've heard elsewhere also) tends to suggest common pools rather than page-wise attachments. However, I have need for Paperclipped also for certain types of site-wide needs, but I'm scared to even start putting Paperclipped and PageAttachments together :P

5/24/2009 | 10:26 PM.

Hello Mohit,

paperclipped comes with a fine installation routine that even imports your old attachments (and images) and moves them to it's default location. Look at the github page, there should be a rake task for mirgration form page_attachments. At least that's how i remember it - i mirgrated only one image, but it shoudl still work with more than one ;)

And paperclipped does use a central media pool BUT you still are able to attach items to pages, so you can, as you woudl do with page_attachments before, access attachments on pages and get only the ones attached to this page (but you also cold use som arbitratry ones by direktly including them) The radiant tags are a bit different, but cycling throuhg attachments and testing for them (with mime type filters) is an easy task.

So the attachments thing is still in there. The bucket is for attaching items to different pages. You add them to the bucket "to carry them around", and then you can attach items form the bucket to pages you're editing.

So all in all (and that's the reason i switched) paperclipped is more flexible and offers a superset of functionality over page_attachments.

Greetings
michael

___m i c h a e l   s t a r k e____
       co-founder of
       HicknHack Software GbR
       www.hicknhack.com
       Graphics

___c o n t a c t____
       +49 (170) 3686136
       +49 (351) 4045428
       cont...@hicknhack.com

___H i c k n H a c k   S o f t w a r e   G b R____
       maik lathan - andreas reischuck - michael starke
       hübnerstraße 8
       01069 dresden - germany