If restful authentication works for you, it should be fine. You'll just need to make sure that any of the methods for authentication don't overlap.
http://github.com/radiant/radiant/blob/69cdd08d287199810fa515c04a3563e26acfb11c/lib/login_system.rb

Jim Gay
http://www.saturnflyer.com

On Jun 21, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Merk S wrote:

Jim, thanks a lot for your input.

I'm considering restful-authentication -- do you think using something like that (or authlogic) is overkill or might cause problems?

I do like the fact that out of the box RA supports roles and states :)

thanks again jim.

From: j...@saturnflyer.com
To: radiant@radiantcms.org
Subject: Re: [Radiant] User Registration for a School
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:15:36 -0400

On Jun 20, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Merk S wrote:

Dear Radiant Folks,I am working on a website for a martial arts
studio where families/guardians register their children for
classes.  By hacking on a fork of the fantastic
simple_product_manager extension
(http://github.com/rubymn-f1/radiant-simple-product-manager/tree/master
) I've been able to account for all of the classes and such.

I am now at the point where I'm trying to implement a user system to
manage families, and their children, aka the students enrolled in
Karate classes. These students all have different attributes that I
would assume could just be part of a "profile" and they belong to a
primary care giver who could also be referred to as their "Family".

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions for how I might do this?

I have thought about the following options:
- Extend Radiant's User model and some how support users belonging
to each other.  i.e. a Parent user might own a child user
- Create a parallel and super simple user system separate from
Radiant's users
- Use something like Spanner's reader extension:
http://github.com/spanner/radiant-reader-extension/tree/master
in combination with Spanner's reader_group extension:
http://github.com/spanner/radiant-reader_group-extension/tree/master
.  Group could be the Parental/Guardian and "reader" could be the
student
- Give up ( jk :) )

Thank you for reading this huge post.

I haven't looked closely at the extensions out there for member
management. I believe that a common approach is to just piggy-back on
the existing users, but personally I would not do that. The purpose of
Radiant's users and your extra users are different enough that they
make sense being separate, and you'd also control that better by
rolling your own authentication scheme. I think Ba does this
(http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/ba/tree/master
)

I don't think that gives you an answer, but that's my opinion.

-Jim