Thanks William and John.

The http server is Litespeed. No mongrel, thin, etc. One of the reasons I've
been using it is because it is dead simple to setup/configure and run. It
was recommended in some Slicehost tutorials as the easiest way to get up and
running with Rails apps, no need for backend servers or load balancers. It
supports Rack and Rails 2.3.2. BUT, maybe it's time to look at something
else. What do you suggest, nginx and thin, mongrel, ...? I'm game to try
something new.

I've tried changing several mysql config settings over the past few days
trying to optimize memory and speed. Made some minor improvements today, DB
times are now under 200ms but the total times are still very high. John,
thanks for the link to the msql tuning blog.

As far as I know, I am running in Production mode. Sqlite3 is what I have
set in database.yml for the dev and test environments, mysql for production.
Litespeed has a "Rails environment" setting and it is set to Production for
my vhost. Tweaking mysql settings has an effect, so I'm fairly certain it's
the production mysql database that's being used.

Thanks again for your help.
--
marshal