Hey John -  Thanks for the tip.  I've considered that too, but on a
production system I guess that's not the best tack, which brings me to what
I might consider the final answer ... I shouldn't be making CSS updates on a
production system anyway, right?  Right.

The edge-case in this scenario was that I wanted to turn off a few elements
while some issues got straightened out, and that being the case I just went
into the main css file and did them by hand while we got these straightened
out.

It's an oddity, and a bit curious as to what isn't allowing it to refresh
the css, but in the end a non-issue.

Thanks again!

- Joel