Advice taken. I've got a Ubuntu Virtual Box set up with RVM and
everything.

I guess I was kind of hoping I could do it on my hosting provider
because I'm not a server tech and when there's server problems, I'd
rather send a ticket and have them fix than take time away from
learning the programming to fix things. I shouldn't have been worrying
about it and jumped in. Thanks for you help.