Well I went ahead and pointed Godaddy to the /public folder but am now
getting a 500 from a misbehaving looping redirect.

First I think I should explain some stuff
-All website files exist under /var/chroot/home/content/i/h/a/[name]/
html/
--I have access to this and other directories upstream
--There is a .htaccess file here but it doesn't do anything to this
domain. I've temporarily disabled it and it still didn't work
-Radiant is installed to /var/chroot/home/content/i/h/a/[name]/html/
radiant.wreckcreations.biz/
--There is no .htaccess here
-A request for radiant.wreckcreations.biz goes to /var/chroot/home/
content/i/h/a/[name]/html/radiant.wreckcreations.biz/public/
--Default .htaccess file exists here
--I've disabled this .htaccess and I get a directory list (temporarily
turned on for all my websites). Enabled gives a 500 and a max
redirects error.

And before you say it: I've already changed the appropriate
permissions on all applicable directories/files using instructions
from here:
http://6brand.com/application-error-rails-app-failed-to-start-properly.html

This is confusing as I'm using the default .htaccess. According to a
generic help page I should set the rewrite base to /, but that only
gives a timeout:

[Tue Oct 19 17:10:42 2010] [error] [client 74.131.61.13] FastCGI: comm
with (dynamic) server "/var/chroot/home/content/i/h/a/[name]/html/
radiant.wreckcreations.biz/public/dispatch.fcgi" aborted: (first read)
idle timeout (60 sec)
[Tue Oct 19 17:10:42 2010] [error] [client 74.131.61.13] FastCGI:
incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/var/chroot/home/
content/i/h/a/[name]/html/radiant.wreckcreations.biz/public/
dispatch.fcgi"

Any other suggestions?