Mike,
        I believe there may be a problem here - an ISP I am familiar
with uses portmasters (and an inferior radius server ;-)) and they are
always complaining about lost stop records. I haven't had a chance to
look into it (and haven't been asked), but consider this confirmation
that the problem has been seen in the wild.

cheers,
        Barry

Mike McCauley wrote:

> On Apr 16, 12:32pm, Paul Thornton wrote:
> > Subject: (RADIATOR) Lost Stop Records
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know why I am sometimes not receiving a STOP record for when a
> > user disconnects (for whatever reason). We are using the radius detail
> > logs for accounting purposes, but with this being an intermittent problem
> > our accounting program doesn't record them logging out. This in turn
> > causes another program (Time Watcher) to keep deducting credit. Not good
> > for our records and definately not good for the user.
> >
> > I have basically had to create a script (very resource hungry) which uses
> > smtp to retreive the latest user list from 15 PortMasters and then verify
> > this list, with what our database shows. There is always one or two that
> > should not be there :(
>
> I guess the most common cause of missing Stop packets in your detail file is if
> your NAS crashes or is restarted. You will never get a Stop for the users who
> were on the NAS at the time.
>
> Other possibilities are:
>
> 1. Flakey network. That doesnt sound likely, as you would probably have other
> more serious problems than this.
>
> 2. Firmware problem in your NAS, though I havent had any similar reports from
> this cause for PMs.
>
> 3. Anyone else think of anything?
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Mike McCauley                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd            Unix, Perl, Motif, C++, WWW
> 24 Bateman St Hampton, VIC 3188 Australia   http://www.open.com.au
> Phone +61 3 9598-0985                       Fax   +61 3 9598-0955

> Platypus, Freeside, external, etc etc on Unix, Win95/8, NT, Rhapsody

                       Shori Pty Ltd                              /
Barry W Anderson                                   \             / /
Senior Consultant                                   \\\' ,      / //
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                        \\\//,   _/ //,
                       http://www.shori.com            \ ///  <//`
42 Munich Drive                                       /,)-^>>  _\` \\\
Keilor Downs, Victoria                                (/   \\ / \\\
Australia 3038                                              //  //\\\