Hi all,

I am evaluating Radiator 2.13.1 for BSDi. We currently use ascend's
commercial product, Access Control, which has been discontinued for the
BSDi platform.

We use Ascend MaxTNTs throughout the enterprise, and our ISDN customers
use various flavors of pipelines. So, I am using the dictionary.ascend.

Everything compiled well, get the radius.cfg set up to authenticate from
both the unix password file and the users file in /etc/raddb. Everything
works with radpwtst.

I set one of our TNT units to point to the Radiator radius server. All
analog modem users did fine...authenticated, got the IP-Address
assigned, etc. However, every time an ISDN user calls in, they are
unable to negotiate a protocol. What follows is a snippet from our
radius.cfg file, followed by part of our users file:

RADIUS.CFG
LogDir /var/log/radius
DbDir /etc/raddb
PidFile /tmp/radiusd.pid
DictionaryFile %D/dictionary.ascend

<Client jeftnt1.suite224.net>
        Secret  xxxxxxxx
</Client>
<Realm DEFAULT>
        <AuthBy FILE>
                # The filename defaults to %D/users
        </AuthBy>
        # Log accounting to the detail file in LogDir
        AcctLogFileName %L/detail
</Realm>

<Realm dummyrealmforunix>
        <AuthBy UNIX>
                Identifier System
                Filename /etc/master.passwd
                Match ^([^:]*):([^:]*)
        </AuthBy>
        #Log accounting to the detail file in %L
        AcctLogFileName %L/detail
</Realm>

USERS (/etc/raddb/users)
DEFAULT Auth-Type=System
 Service-Type = Framed,
 Framed-Protocol = PPP,
 Ascend-Base-Channel-Count = 1,
 Ascend-Maximum-Channels = 1

#ISDN User
jimmy Password="xxxxxxxx"
 Service-Type = Framed,
 Framed-Protocol = MPP,
 Framed-IP-Address = 209.176.67.249,
 Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.248,
 Framed-Route = "209.176.67.248/29 209.176.67.249 1 y amhaed",
 Ascend-Call-Type = Perm/switched,
 Ascend-Base-Channel-Count = 1,
 Ascend-Minimum-Channels = 2,
 Ascend-Maximum-Channels =2,
 Ascend-MPP-Idle-Percent = 0
===============================

The error code reported is pppCloseEvent (Ascend code 46 - see the
accounting record below). This behavior continues until I point the NAS
back to the regular radius server running Access Control. So, the
obvious questions are: what have I done wrong? Why does Access Control
authenticate the user and allow the MPP protocol, but Radiator doesn't?
Is it a syntax problem at my end? Thanks in advance. -Tom

Mon May 10 10:23:39 1999
        User-Name = "jimmy"
        NAS-Identifier = 209.176.69.1
        NAS-Port = 41
        NAS-Port-Type = Sync
        Acct-Status-Type = Stop
        Acct-Delay-Time = 0
        Acct-Session-Id = "282157033"
        Acct-Authentic = RADIUS
        Acct-Session-Time = 0
        Acct-Input-Octets = 265
        Acct-Output-Octets = 237
        Acct-Input-Packets = 9
        Acct-Output-Packets = 11
        Ascend-Disconnect-Cause = pppCloseEvent
        Ascend-Connect-Progress = prLanSessionUp
        Ascend-Xmit-Rate = 64000
        Ascend-Data-Rate = 64000
        Ascend-PreSession-Time = 3
        Ascend-Pre-Input-Octets = 265