On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Ferhat Dilman wrote:

> Radiator is in location Istanbul for example, and one of the POP's are in
> other city e.g. Ankara. When the line goes down between Istanbul-Ankara, and
> the user tries to logon in Istanbul, since the user information still on
> RADONLINE, it tries to check it thru finger and since the line is down,
> finger WAITS! a longtime thus Radiator does not respond other requests till
> the finger request is finished (single process that is).
>
> Then eventually finger timeouts and the session is deleted from RADONLINE
> and user is permitted. However this has two problems:
> 1- User may be still online in Ankara (thus simultanous sessions)
> 2- finger waits too long and no user auth is accepted till timeout of finger
>
> Any solutions to finger problem when the line is down? How can we
> automatically cancel finger requests if the line is down between POP and
> Radiator-Host location?

This is a problem that I posted about a while ago. Unfortunately when Mike
asks if this is a problem for anyone else, everyone is silent.

The solution:

Radiator needs to be able to fork at the time that it is going to verify a
login.

Steve

---
Steve Roderick                                  ProAxis Communications, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                               Internet Access Provider
                                                (541) 757-0248