Thanks.

When I picked up the radio on Thursday I mentioned I would use this info
as follow up. The lady at the checkout counter made some statement about
the part (regulator or something, there was a bit of a crowd) and I
thought it would be on the paperwork, but it isn't. I will follow up
with them next week.

I actually worked for an electronic component manufacturer years ago,
but have no access to a bench nor tools at this time. It burns my soul
to pay through the nose for every "look at it" service charge. They
don't seem to want to diagnose it like you would if it was your own
equipment. A quick look, can't see what is wrong, move on. I think I
might try to make friends with a guy a mile or so away that has a Ham
Radio antenna - he obviously is "old school."