John Andersen wrote:
> Troll?

Yes, you're trolling.

 I'll admit that the TBL website is following poor practices. However, nearly
every other commercial domain on the planet is operating under poor practices of
one form or another. If you hard-line blacklist them all, you'd get no mail.

Also, what motivation or benefit is there to abusing this system? This can't be
abused by a spammer to increase his spread of pharmacy spams.

Sure, if I don't like you I could create a catalog of hundreds of sites and
subscribe your email address to all of them. However, it would take me more work
to sign you up for all of them than it would for you to remove yourself. Hardly
a worthwhile effort. It would be substantially easier for me to just find a nice
exploitable server and use it to flood you with a few thousand messages directly
from there.

> You can't figure out why a mail targeted at overweight people
> from a site where anyone can sign up ANYONE ELSE with no opt-in
> gets its spew reported as spam?

Erm.. define "opt-in". Do you really mean "Confirmed opt-in"? I agree, bad
practice not to do confirmations. However, many sites in this world are not
confirmed opt-in. Stupid as it may be, it's reality.

That said, this is also the standards to which US laws are currently written. As
stupid as that may be as well.

> What the hell is wrong with you?

Ahh, more trolling. Inflammatory personal attacks. Thanks.

Let's take a close look at the poor practices you're engaging in yourself.

Note that none of this is RFC illegal, but it's all "bad practice":

1) running a SMTP server on what appears to be dynamic IP address (as listed in
sorbs-dul). This is not against the ToS for your ISP, but they do run a SMTP
server and you should use it, even if only as a forwarder.

2) pen.homeip.net has no MX record. Implicit A is acceptable in the RFCs, but
you should have an MX record.

3) pen.homeip.net has a TTL of 60 seconds. This is necessary for dynamic DNS
hosts, but is particularly rude if you expect others to interact with your
server. Servers which are intended to be globally used should have at least a 1
day ttl so as not to load down everyone else with having to constantly re-fetch
your records.

4) The IP address used has a generic reverse provided by the ISP. This is also
legal, but you really should have your public servers on a static IP, and have
the reverse-dns mapped to the hostname you HELO as.

So even your domain is following bad practices. Should we all blacklist you for
not having a mail system that conforms to all the best practices in the
industry?