Its a middle ground between a Betty and a Beater but have you
considered Soma's Buena vista?  A quick google search shows them
between $375 and 475 for the Frameset.  I don't  have personal
experience with them but it seems like a sweet frame and good bang for
the buck.

I am actually building up a Mixte for my wife right now from a older
CroMo Schwinn that I actually found for free at the side of the road.
After taking it all apart its going to need some lovin' but I can't
argue with the price of the bike.  In Seattle I frequently see "Ladies
3 speeds" for decent prices on Craigslist an older english ladies bike
will be plenty strong (IMO) but not light.