It rides very well -- with the sprung saddle she get's a very smooth ride,
even on rough city streets.

Yes, the Le Tour series are quite nice, and this one was (from what I could
glean online) made by Panasonic.  There are still lots of them out there in
garages and they pop up on Craigslist pretty frequently.  They are a step up
from the World Tourist (made by Giant in Taiwan, I believe), and certainly
lighter than the old Varsity bike, which may have still been cranked out in
Chicago back then.  Was that the one you were thinking of?

The original catalog page for the Le Tour Touriste can be seen
here.<http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1980_1990/1981_10.html>
The Mixte isn't prominent, but the lower left photo shows one.

My only regret is that she will be too tall for it in another year or two
and will need something else.  And even though it will fit my son by then,
he probably won't want what he calls a "girls bike".