Interesting and pretty photos.
I see that Grant has M-bars at what look like a couple of inches above
saddle, and very close up; almost like cruiser bars. I'm sure *he* can ride
powerfully like that, but doesn't that sitting position put the onus of
pedaling on the quads, leaving your other powerful muscles unused? My own
preference is to sit behind the pedals and push forward (that perhaps isn't
what I actually do, but it's what it feels like) when climbing seated, and
this most certainly involves sliding way back and bending forward. If I were
sitting up, I *think*, I'd shove myself off the back of the saddle, no?

I'd love a Bombadil as a ss dirt-biased allrounder, but unfortunately it
doesn't take wide tires, I hear that even skinny 50s are marginal with
fenders. 70s with fenders for me!

I'd really love to climb Diablo on my fat tired 29er ss -- I wonder if I'd
have the strength to do so. I do love climbing ss or fixed. What are the
steepest grades? And am I right in thinking that the climb is about 11
miles?