Hi Dave,

   Hey, thanks for the help.  So, from my understanding you have the
original Carmina arms, which were recommended with a 113 BB, but you
used a Phil 119 BB which gives you the clearance you stated.

What does your chainline measure BTW ?

I've only found one other person online who uses the Carminas (latest
version on a LHT) , and he uses an IRD/Tange 115 BB .  Bilenky says
they use a 116 RPM with the Carmina. This is contradictory of Peter
White who is stating a TA or Phil 119 BB. However .  . .  if my memory
serves me, TA and Phil tapers fit further in the arms than do the
Tange/Shimano/IRD versions by about 1.5mm each arm/3mm total, at least
this was the case with Zephyr arms. That accounts for give or take
3mm, in theory that is.

I asked Bilenky to measure the inside clearance of a current Carmina
crank when they can just to be sure before I order one.  .  .  I'm
waiting to hear back.  I'm trying to find the shortest BB I can find
to get the spec'd 156mm Q and clear the stays properly. .  .  .so I'm
hoping a 118 IRD/Tange would work, otherwise I have to go way up to
the 122.5 like you said.. Adding another 5mm would make for a worse
chainline though. .  .as TA and Peter White state the Carmina works
best @ 45mm and I agree with that as it's right in the middle of a 9
speed cassette and middle chainring.

It's too bad all this is special orders and seemingly kryptic as to
what BB to use. I miss the days of being in a shop. I thought of using
a Surly Mr. Whirly if I have to go with a wider Q factor than 161mm,
as it's 161. .  .  .but I don't live anywhere near a shop to have my
BB faced, and I have this suspicion that outboard bearings are just
another "pit stop" for the Industry of Changing Bike Parts.

Anyways . .  . I do appreciate your help !  One of these days I'll get
the Bomba up and running . .  . .