Deacon,  I'm sitting in an Inn after a hard drive across a chunk of Md.,
all of Delaware, NJ, and up NY to Rhinebeck so my brain is too tired for a
full answer.  So here's the short version.

All gearing combinations involve trade offs among 4 variables - hi/low
which you have identified; but also how big the jumps are between gears;
the ease of getting from one gear to the next; and where your favorite
gears are.

The wider the hi/low range the wider the steps between gears, but this can
be counteracted to some degree by going to a dbl and then a triple.  A wide
range cassette always yields large steps between gears, which I don't like.
  I usually run a 12-27 or at most an 11-28.  Even with that, on our riding
in flat Virginia I only used 3 gears but two of them were too far apart.

So the double will let you get a pretty wide range with smaller steps.  But
with many doubles the next gear can be an awkward front shift and a 2 or 3
click rear shift leaving you between the gear you would really like.  A
ring difference of 10 tends to yield the simplest shifting pattern - a
single click to the next gear.   14 tooth difference yields 2 clicks to the
next gear.  I tend to find the 12 difference leaving me between gears.  I
try to create sets with about 10% between gears  especially in the most
used middle.

Finally, think about which gears you use the most and try to get a good
chain line and easy pattern between them.

I rarely use a ratio of less than 1 to 1 and never more than 4-1.  For
example my Ram has a 44/30 and an 11/27 while the Saluki a 48/34/26 (24 for
big long climbs) with a 12-27.  The tandem, likes easy shifting, so
48/38/28 with a 12-27.  It feels very stressful to me to try to spin a
ratio much below 1-1 fast enough to keep a bike upright for a long time.
 To each his own.

Simplification is good, over simplification makes life more complicated
than it needs to be.

Michael