As someone who has a 29'er MTB w/ a 1x9 drivetrain (32 front 11-34 rear), I
say keep the inner ring. You don't have to shift if you don't want to but
if you need it, you will have it. I am in southeastern PA, where the
mountains pale in comparsison and on a couple of all day rides where I
bonked, I wished I had something lower to spin while I was
recovering. Cheap insurance in my mind.