I rode all last winter with nothing more than wool layers (1 to 4,
depending on the temp), MUSA long pants, the heavy cotton long-sleeve
RBW T shirt and a light REI "soft-shell" jacket (presumably made in
China). The T-shirt was just under the jacket to help it block wind.
Wouldn't need that with a more "wind-shirt" type thing (Marmot sells
something literally called a windshirt, I think). RBW and REI supply
all you need. If the sizes are too small, Justin Charles sells *huge*
wool stuff (their 3XL is substantially bigger than RBW's "Jumbo").
Political note; Justin Charles's clothing (and presumably many things
from REI) are made in China.

Layered wool is the way to go for warmth *and* comfort. Head, hands,
trunk, legs, feet. The socks RBW now sells are *fantastic*; last
year's were phenomenal to wear but only lasted about 5-6 wearings
before the heel became a hole; the new ones are still a close second
to those in comfort and show little wear after a dozen or more
wearings. I no longer wear any other socks, no matter what time of
year. The 80/20 striped shorties are fantastic!

I live in the Chicago area; I commuted every work day throughout the
winter.

Let not Old Man Winter stop you!