Wayne,

I'd like to add a third reason:

3.  They are not user serviceable.  Here's what I found on the Shutter
Precision FAQ:

*How often do SP hub dynamos require service?*
SP hub dynamos employ sealed bearings that do not require service until the
bearings are require replacement. We already have customers that have
logged over 10,000 kms without any problems and we expect that under normal
use the service life of these bearings should be well over 20,000 kms.
Should they ever need servicing, they can be sent back to SP and replaced
with new ones for roughly USD 30 including the cost of return postage.

*Are SP hub dynamos user serviceable?*
Alas, SP hub dynamos are *not* user serviceable and indeed we are aware of
no hub dynamos that are based on manufacturer’s recommendations. *Any
attempt to service a SP hub dynamo will **void its two-year warranty*
<http://www.sp-dynamo.com/Support.html>*.* We have received quite a number
of requests from consumers on how they might service their hubs even
accepting that attempting to do so would void their two-year warranty. They
accept this risk thinking that this would save the need to disassemble and
rebuild the wheel. Unfortunately, the design of SP hub dynamos like that of
many other brands requires disassembly of the wheel for bearing
replacement. Furthermore, the delicate generator mechanism housed within
the hub body must be re-calibrated to tolerances of less than a millimetre
each time bearings are replaced. Failure to carry out this operation
properly (which is likely without expert knowledge, experience and tools),
will generally result in catastrophic failure of the generator mechanism
after a period of use. SP engineers have considered making their hubs user
serviceable (with much prodding from IDC at the behest of our technically
savvy testers). But the expertise and equipment required to carry out
recalibration of the generator mechanism each time the bearings are
replaced presents a technical hurdle that SP engineers, and indeed all
other hub dynamo manufacturers we are aware of, have so far declined to
attempt.

Did you catch the part about having to disassemble the wheel in order to
replace the bearings!  20,00kms is roughly 12,000 miles.  So every 12,000
miles you need to tear down your wheel, ship it off for new bearings, pay
$30 + return shipping, and than rebuild your wheel.

WOW.  That combined with the initial buy-in makes dynamos a pretty
expensive proposition.  I suppose if you really need it than there is no
substitute.  But by comparison, just tonight, I replaced the original
lithium-ion rechargeable battery in my USB-charged NiteRider Cordless 600
for a total cost of $10.99. This light was purchased in 8/2011.  I use it
light 5 days-a-week, year round on my early morning commute.  With an
initial cost of $108 it has proved to be a pretty good value.

Matt