I learned by working on old 10 speeds and using Sheldon Browns site,
YouTube, and copious amounts of the Zinn and the art of Road bike
maintenance.  My take-aways are; take your time, walk away when you get
frustrated, having good tools/the right tools for the job can make things
SO much easier, don't be afraid to consult the LBS if you get stuck, and
finally its so supposed to be fun so enjoy yourself.   I don't consider
myself mechanically inclined lungimsam and I have rebuilt about 20 old 10
speeds in the last 7 years.  I don't rebuild wheels but I do true them and
 do just about everything else.  You can do it!

Ryan