Just start doing it!  Almost everything on a bicycle is about tension, one
way or another.  For the guys that haven't tackled truing, I encourage you
do do so, spend 18 bucks and get a red, black and green wrench right out of
the gate so you can do other bikes without question.  Once you figure out
truing, you'll realize that it's easier to true a wheel than it is to get
your handlebars straight!
I like using quality tools, park, campy, or other non bike specific hand
tools.  One the iBob list, there was a long discussion about work stands.
 I love my WrenchForce (old Trek brand) stand and think it's a better
design than the park stuff.  It looks like Feedback sports picked up where
Trek left off: http://feedbacksports.com/shop/default.aspx
Very good design IMO.
I agree that youtube would be a good place to check on how to perform
different tasks on your bike.
One thing that I've described many times over the years and I've seen a lot
of people have Ahhhh Ha moments is adjusting the derailleurs.  The screws
are simply limit screws for how high or low the derailleur will travel.  If
your derailleur goes in to the highest and lowest gear you're good and
these screws rarely ever need adjustment if you aren't changing parts on
your bike or making adjustments to you bottom bracket spindle adjustment,
like you can with a Phil BB.
Anyhow, a quick tutorial on derailleurs.  Drop it all the way down in the
back to the smallest gear, shift up one (I'm making the assumption it's
indexed shifting but the concept is the same with friction) and see how it
shift.  Does it shift quickly, does it not go at all?  Then shift back down
and see how it shifts in comparison to going up.  If it fell down in to the
smaller gear easier than it climbed up one gear, there isn't enough tension
on the rear derailleur cable.  So, give a quarter turn on the rear
derailleurs barrel adjusted OUT to increase the tension.  Then go through
the process again.  I like to do this mostly in the middle of the cassette
and then check across them all and you're good to go!