Jump in and just do it. I know what I know by making all the mistakes. My
first bike build, age 15, 1970, included at the very least 3 distinct and
incompatible basic component designs and I ended up with a bike that no rim
brake (caliper, stirrup) would fit and a 90" gear. And I accomplished this
build and the next (age 16) much more sophisticated (and more weird) one
using, not only the most basic of tools, but tools that weren't tools: nail
and hammer and large nut to break and assemble chains; one-prong paper
punch for pliers; pipe wrench for wheel nuts; and so forth.

Much more recently, circa 2012, I made -- in the sense of "coerced" -- a
Worksman tricycle frame to accept a Stronglight 99 (I think; 86 bcd) single
with the stock bb assembly (using an Ashtabula to square taper BMX
conversion) by hammering in a very delicately gauged dent in the right
stay. Worked just right and even looked elegant.

This by way of installing a chi chi Grafton triple, of which I was very
proud, on a mtb using the then standard XT type 122.5 mm spindle, and
earning the contempt of a local bike mechanic for the weirdly offset
chainline.