Dive in and dare! I consider wrenching part of my brain injury therapy. I
have difficulty with fine motor skills, and working gone my bikes forces me
to do some of that, without it being overwhelming. Interestingly enough,
the hardest thing in that regard is wrapping my handlebars. I've done
bottom brackets, detailers, cables, brakes, and headsets and everything
except wheel truing and building. As others have mentioned, youtube is
great (be sure to get as close as possible to your type of component as
possible, especially with headsets and bottom brackets and brakes, as there
are differences between cantilever and center pull brakes, etc. I always
check Sheldon's pages first. For me, youtube is great because I can
"remember" how to do what I've already done, but don't remember doing.
Sardonic grin.

Have fun!

With abandon,
Patrick