I'm another Steve in the DC Metro area and my experience from when I was riding
regularly in the summer was similar to Steve P's.  The shorts were ride once
and wash, for anti fungal reasons, but jerseys did not necessarily need to be
washed every time.  I used mostly Pearl Isumi jerseys, in addition to some
others.  Full disclosure, I use antibacterial soap for showering but do not use
an antiperspirant (allergic to that).  To tie in with current topic, my
clothing for longer rides will not/has not changed much since I got my Bleriot
and started reading GP's writings, other than to tone down the colors a bit.  I
have taken his advise re shoes, and find the Thin Gripsters to be quite
adequate with rubber-soled casual shoes.  I still prefer cycling shorts since
anything baggy tends to snag on the saddle horn when remounting after a stop.
Steve A