I bought my Hillborne after seeing the first Clems but I did so because it
was the right compliment to an MTB I already had.  It was a replacement for
a Bianchi that maxed out at 25c tires.  The Hillborne is a pretty different
bike than the Clem.  From initial reports, it sounds like the Clem is
closer to a discount Atlantis or Hunq based on stoutness and a discount
Appaloosa based on stability from longer stays.  The Hillborne is a bit
tighter and less stout.  Closer to a Hilson than the Atlantis or Hunq.
 That said, I just carried 4 bottles of wine in the front basket and two
bottles in the saddlebag yesterday and, aside from a little shimmy, it was
definitely up for the task.  I'd feel comfortable camping or touring with
it (seems like many people do).  I've also found that everything I ride now
that is not my Hillborne feels twitchy and overly aggressive.  The Sam H is
incredibly smooth and handles beautifully but I've come to expect that from
every Rivendell I ride.  If you want to ride fatter tires than a 45 (40
with fenders), get the Clem... and enjoy whatever level of components you
want to put on it.  Take a look at the Clem Drew Beckmeyer gave to his
girlfriend in the other post.  He described it as stout like a Hunq and it
looks fantastic with the Brooks b67 and the Schwalbe Big Ben 50's (50+?) he
has on it.  A machine to be proud of for sure (as is the Hillborne if you
decide to go that way).

If you are close enough to Riv to try both, that would be the thing to do.
If not, buy the one that supports what you want to do with a bike.  They
said the Clem rides like a Riv on the Blug and I believe them.  As for
pedals, I love both my thin gripsters and my grip kings.  If I had a Clem,
it would have one of those pedals on it (maybe even one of each!... That
sounds very "Clem")

John