As someone who's ridden a Sam for the past 3+ years and who's recently felt the
uncontrollable urge to upgrade to a fatter-tired bike, I would say wait for the
Clem. I have slowly crept up in tire size over the years, going from 28mm
gatorskins back in the mid-2000's, to 33mm Supremes on my Quickbeam, to the
38mm Barlow Pass on my Hillborne now. I now think of 38's as "skinnies" and the
lower limit of what I would ride. Unfortunately, this about where the Sam maxes
out (in combination with the lack of supple road tires in the 43-45mm range
that it could handle).

When I heard that the Clem will definitively be able to take a 60mm tire with
fender, I was glad that Rivendell stepped it up to the next level of fat
function. I am about to get a Jones Plus with 60mm Super Motos to start and I
am quite sure that it will be significantly faster and funner than my Hillborne
on all surfaces except smooth pavement, thanks to the 1.5X tires. I was about
to say my love with Rivendell was coming to an end, due to the limitations of
the Sam and the change in my preferences, but this is a cool jump to see.

All that being said, I think the Sam is a great bike if you just want a
reliable, pretty and fun road commuter/light tourer, but the bike is rather
limited (for the cost) from my perspective.