<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7LyXAuuGlms/VQjvBvQ2g9I/AAAAAAAAACg/I06iEjybNKw/s1600/003.JPG>
I hope in my original post I didn't give the impression that I haven't
cleaned my bike in 8 years (though the guys at Recycled Cyles may
disagree!).  I, too, am an "oil every link" guy and cannot stand squeaks
and squeals.  I do like to ride bikes though and my bike time is
limited...when I get it I ride.  I'll keep the drive train serviceable and
will wipe off the "chunks" but when it comes to taking out the sponge and
wax I'd rather be out gathering more dirt.  As for keeping tan sidewalls
clean...no way!  This show the gunk that accumulates after one ride in the
Seattle winter slop.