Patrick, I starting using saddle bags - Carradice Barley most days & Nelson
when needed during my 13 years as a long haul commuter.  I used and
continue to use the Carradice SQR system.  For just a minimal amount of
metal it provides a high degree of stability and absolutely the fastest on
and off the bike quick release available.  The really big advantage of
saddle bags comes from having them above the fenders.  I ride a lot of dirt
roads and when commuting a third of my 30 mile RT was dirt.  It rains
regularly and unpredictably in Vermont so everything I could have above the
fenders was a plus for me.  You can stuff a lot of stuff into a Barley and
never feel the weight behind you.  I didn't like having my macbook in the
Nelson, but they are a lot lighter now.

We use a small Arkel pannier for every day riding on the tandem and Pat
uses the same bag on her Betty.  Big panniers are strictly for touring.
 Now that I'm retiring I never use the Nelson and the Barley rarely gets
more than a bottle of wine or a few ears of corn in it.

Of course riding in NM is probably very different.

Michael