The "romance" has overtaken me! Panniers, saddlebag, handlebar bag, folder
"frontbag", rack trunk, frame bag, basket bag... as long as it's canvas and
supported by steel and/or leather if at all practical... I love it. As for
Arkel/Ortlieb/other... the fine well-engineered examples have decided
advantages... sometimes it's shape, rigidity, organization, ruggedness, sheer
size... But I love the romance. So give me canvas.

Saddlebags for a more carefree, lighter approach, with or without a rack.
Panniers for larger loads or more potential. Front bag on the Bike Friday with
its Brompton-style luggage mount. Handlebar bag for accessibility (though
nothing beats RandiJo's Bartender for sheer convenience). Basket bags if
baskets are already attached from some prior particular need. Rack trunks hold
tools up front and a growler in the back.

Precisely because I can not just settle on which bag type is generally more
useful/appealing I often end up (over years) with the near-complete "gruppo" of
any bag brand/design I find appealing. Though of Ostriches I still have only
the one  bag, the DLX pannier. The Big Bicycling! Excellent equipment!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean