Welcome to the group, René.  What a great story.

It seems like, above all, you are asking the right questions.

I'd say that the AHH is one of the more versatile of Grant's designs.  I've
raced cyclocross with mine, used it for commuting, mixed-terrain riding,
done a brevet and a century on it and just enjoyed the heck out of it.

By the look of your rig, it would easily lend itself to an S24O.  Unlike
most of the bicycle models marketed these days, Rivendell designs encourage
tinkering around with the setup - dropping a rack off here or using a
different bag there can tune the bike for exactly what you want.

Of course, some folks just want to set each bike up specifically and not
mess with it.  If that's the case for you, considering a
Roadeo/Hilsen/Bombadil trifecta causes angelic harmonies in my head. (Well,
there'd be a Legolas in there too....).

Unless you feel the burning need to do so, I'd not dump any bikes - winter
produces a glut of lightly-used bikes on the market as folks dump their
"last year's model" or cash it in for snowboards/skis. If you list it for
sale from now through March, don't be surprised if you get a bunch of
low-ball offers on the price.

To me, the most important sentance in your introduction was this -

"...I've never been able to ride without pain."

and now, those days are behind you.  Good on ya, man! May the miles unfold
before you.

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Current Classics Bicycle Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc
Cross Bike Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/cx
Single Speed Garage Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg
Working Bikes & Practical Hardware - http://www.cyclofiend.com/working
Work Shops of the iBob's - http://www.cyclofiend.com/shop

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the
anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."

William Gibson - "All Tomorrow's Parties"