I suppose my thinking and now disappointment came from the idea that a
kickstand plate negated crushing or over flexing chainstays. That it solved
that problem. I agree with patrick, that I don't know what the purpose of a
kickstand plate is, if you can't put a dbl leg one one it. Presumably the dbl
leg would apply a more even force than a single leg, right? Less bending? I
also have to think that this was riv's thinking too, since, despite the
current/not publicized warning, their pictures still show the stand being
attached to the plate directly, and the warning is relatively new...I think.
Mine is still attached directly to the plate, and I'm a little bit afraid to
flip the bike over to see how it looks. mine has fallen at least a couple
times.
Anyway, what's the solution. Is a stand mounted to the chainstays on a weighted
bike just not a good idea? Is the current plate that is being used not up to
the task or being attached in an insufficient manner?  Part of me wonders how
adding the top plate and clamping down on the chainstays while also going thru
the kickstand plate makes this problem better. Wouldn't that just be over
stressing a more key area of the bike than just a plate? I'm not sure I want to
put the kind of force that can snap a welded on steel plate directly onto my
chainstays. i guess this goes back to surlys stance on the matter