That's the same spot I've seen two other (heavily-used, but not old) Surlys
crack. Drive-side, just behind the  chainstay bridge. Both replaced under
warranty without a lot of grief.

In a related note, Chainstays seem to be where heavily-used bikes die
(eventually). It is a highly-stressed part, though the big-mile bikes that
die due to old age ordinarily will break out near the dropout...

Best,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO