1. Compass/Bicycle Quarterly articles/blog state that tires will get an mm
or two wider with use/time, iirc.

2. They state that rim width plays a role in how wide the tire will
empuffen,

3. They also state that handling on 700c bikes degrades with any tire wider
than 35mm. They believe running wider tires is best on a 650b bike because
they keep their nimble handling with wider tires. They say that the reason
they do make wider than 700 x 35mm tires is to help 700c-ers get to
experience the cush of wider tires. But they believe handling degrades at
anything wider than 35mm on a 700c wheeled bike. Unless Compass/BQ has
changed their position since I last read.

4. I think their stated tire measurements could only be made clearer by
including the name/width of the rim it was measured on, as well as how much
they were initially empuffed for the initial measurement (psi/bar) used to
list in their tire description, and a disclaimer to educate the consumer
that real life width will be determined by rim width, tire pressure, and
time/use.

Empuffery is definitely more complex than first meets the eye.