I think that what BQ/Compass in fact claims is that the gyroscopic factors
determined by tire diameter and width and of course weight at the given
distance from the axle result in the best handling when the perimeter of
the wheel is about 13.5" from the axle. They don't to my knowledge use the
word "degrade", which I think conveys a misapprehension.

As to their precise claim, as above, I am skeptical, since Grant at least
seems in my experience (3 26" wheel custom roads) to have devised a way to
make very light, 24.5" to 25" actual diameter wheels behave superbly; and
while my Fargo with 700C C 50 to 65 mm wheels doesn't handle nearly as
nicely, I put that down to the mtb-type geometry, at least in good part,
and not solely to the size of the wheels.