I have used Shimano Ultegra and Tiagra level brifters, as well as, Campy 8
Speed Ergo power. All worked fine. I have currently switched my bikes back
to indexed downtube shifters. (10 speed Dura Ace on my Hilsen and 7 Speed
Shimano, on my Woodrup). Having learned to ride on downtube shifters, I
don't find them that off-putting. Recently, I have been doing core
strengthening exercises, about 7 months now, and find this makes using down
tube shifters easier. On longer rides I am fining I like the additional
movement that is a part of down tube shifter use. Bending forward, sitting
up a bit, all help keep me from getting fixed in one position.

I did a 200k with the downtube shifting with no ill effects. On a
subsequent ride, one rider broke a drive side shifter cable using Shimano
brifter. Eventhough he had a replacement, getting the broken cable out of
the shifter proved difficult. There is an added layer of complexity to
brifters.