Late to the party as is my penchant.

Back in 2012 I drank the Kool-aid and sold my carbon race bike. I went with
a Hilsen outfitted with noodle drop bars and the fancy TRP drilled brake
levers. At around the same time I acquired a 1984 Trek 660 from list member
Chris down Sanger, Texas way. It hung in my rafters for two years. I think
I had the notion to have a go faster bike, but I'm old and my memory isn't
what it used to be. Anyway, I'm glad that past me bought the frame set. In
the preceding  years I've built up an Atlantis outfitted with BE's and
Albatross bars. Then early this year a 10 speed  Campy Veloce group
complete with wheel set fell into my lap and the Trek was reborn with
modern DCL, brifters (whatever the hell you want to call them!) and I fell
in love with the ergo nature of this config. The more I rode the more I
thought how great these would be in off road scenarios. So the Hilsen is
being reimagined.

Some take-aways, the TRP brake levers are nice just not as nice as the
campy levers, which feel so damn natural. Bar ends are no nonsense and work
just fine and on a world tour most likely what I'd roll with. But that's
not happening anytime soon. So if I have a mechanical I figure I can work
something out and limp to a bike store. I still love drop bars and combined
with brifters with all the controls at my fingertips it's a winner for me.
Still looking for the best dirt drop handlebar to mate up with my new
Hilsen config. I like Shimano but I think campy nailed it, and it's too
early to say anything about the Sram setup but so far so good.

My experience with bike's is if your wallet allows it try it!

I like this from Scott C.

"Variety is good, keeps your mind from following ruts".

Tail Winds,

~Hugh