Eric,  thanks for the reply.  The quick release was my first thought as well.
I've made sure it's tight.  I think the mark around the quick release axle nut
is due to this one being smaller in diameter than the last. This is the quick
release the Riv folks sent with the hub, it's quite nice. The last one I used,
that resulted in the loss of paint on the drop out, was larger.  When I try to
manually rotate the connector back toward the fork blade, it does not move.
I'm completely flummoxed!