I have ridden mine as a road bike and used 28C tires. With 28s it looks a lot
like my Riv Road in general, but if you look closely you can see a ton of
clearance at the brake areas and that does look a little goofy. Handling-wise
it handles just fine with the 28s and I wouldn't hesitate to use them on a club
ride with this bike.

I have to say that I put the Jack Brown Greens on it a few months back and it
has been quite a revelation. One day while commuting home, I was driving an
overly competitive rider batty by keeping up with him and eventually passing
him. He seemed a little annoyed that a guy on a bike with downtube shifters and
fenders was passing him like that, and then even more annoyed that he couldn't
re-take the lead. Overall, I find the Jack Browns to be just as fast, if not
faster, tham the Continental Ultra 28s that I had used previously.  I also find
that the AHH when not loaded down with racks is as sprightly as you would need
for most riding, and you still have options for racks and bags if the need
arises.

Joe