Not that I can maintain 20 mph any more -- I could, solo, in my youthful
40s; I can still maintain 18 solo on a flat out and back -- but as to Rivs
being slower because of the favored riding position, let me say ad contram
that the butt back position that Rivs encourage is, for me, precisely the
position that gives me a low back and a lot of power. I wish I had had my
two customs made with 72 seat tube angles instead of 72; as it is, I
literally use a rubber mallet to get the saddles (Flites) all the way back
on the considerable-offset older Dura Ace posts. Bars on short (8 cm) stems
2" below saddle. A steeper st angle would, for me, be awkward and slow.

I would not discount a Riv design for fast riding --or, for that matter, for
low bars.

Lastly, I am not sure, but I think that older racing bikes (I have a 1973
Motobecane Grand Record; I used to own an oldish school 1989 Falcon) have
geometries similar to the Rivs: long rear-center, short front-center,
slacker st angles, encouraging a butt back position good for power and good
weight balance for precise handling. The Motobecane mimics my Rivs quite
well -- which is why I like it.

YMMV, of course.

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM