JIm:

I'm not normally a tweed sort of guy but that Nigel Smith on the LHT
absolutely belongs on that bike.  What a nice, tidy touch. I've never
seen an LHT set up other than as a tourer.  The Atlantis is highly
adaptable (you were up to what, version 8.0?) so the LHT should be
equally so.

RE:  LHT as a touring bike.  Out in the real world where touring bikes
get junked up with racks and loaded down with all manner of gear, the
LHT is arguably the single most common bike.  You'll see all manner of
adapted MTBs, old racing bikes cobbled into tourers, 80s vintage
Japanese tourers, etc.  But for people who've decided to pop for a
dedicated touring bike, the LHT does the job.  A touring bike gets
pretty rough treatment, getting partially dis-assembled, packed,
shipped, leaned against trees, dropped, tossed into the back of
trucks, and generally abused.  I know, my Atlantis has more scratches
and gouges than I can count (OK, the fork stuff was self-inflicted by
my need for more fittings).  Several of my touring buds have LHTs and
none of us can see any difference in ride, handling, etc. between the
two.  Functionally, no difference.  Financially, big difference.  You
pays your money & takes your choice.  I'm just thankful I got my
Atlantis back when the whole bike cost what the frame does now.
Yikes!

dougP